Collooney Church History

 

Collooney is a village about 7 miles south of Sligo. The small Methodist church is on a fine half-acre site in the centre of the village. When the site was purchased, a local land-owner objected strenuously to the construction of the church, and organised a boycott of the work*. This delayed progress but eventually the church was completed in 1861.

 

The weekly service in Collooney has been held in the evening for as long as anyone can remember, and members of the church usually attend morning worship in the Church of Ireland in the village, which might surprise those who opposed the building of the Methodist church! Some of the Methodists in Collooney say that they are still following the advice of John Wesley, who urged his followers to attend their local parish church as well as meeting in the early Methodist meeting-houses. As Collooney church is nearest to the centre of this widespread circuit, it is often the venue for circuit gatherings, which swell the small congregation on such occasions. A few years ago, a new heating system was installed in the church, and there are plans for developing the property by adding on much-needed kitchen and toilet facilities.

 

*The full story of the opposition to the building of the Collooney church can be found in the book "Olde Sligoe", by John C. McTernan, published by Avena Publications, ISBN 0 9520594 4 4.